Paper by Andy Doig:
Some preliminary points, yes a secular/humanist constitution is sadly highly likely given the ideological focus of all Scottish parties, including the pro indy ones, so I very much agree we should do one which reflects the Christian heritage of Scotland.
A second point, given the agegroup we are looking at which attends church I think a plan of attack would be for CFI to produce something akin to the Wee Blue Book, that is, a small book containing arguments for independence from a Christian viewpoint, that can be distributed and easily slipped into a jacket pocket or a handbag. A possible title could be God Bless Scotland – the Journey to Full Nationhood. I think it is important to avoid the I word simply because opposition to independence is strongest in this age group and we want waverers to read our case and not refuse to read it.
A summary of contents could be
- The historic role of the Church in winning independence during the Wars of Independence
- Old Testament arguments for independence
- New Testament arguments for independence
- The Gospel arguments for independence
- Arguments from Christian Tradition for independence
- A Q and A section at the end of the book